One-Room Schoolhouse Debuts Thanks to Farrington Grant

April 3rd, 2012

The Saratoga Historical Foundation unveiled its One-Room Schoolhouse to the community on March 29, 2012 at an opening reception at the Saratoga History Museum.  The little white building, topped with a cupola and operating school bell, was renovated inside and out using funds from a Farrington Historical Foundation grant. 

 

      

The "first day of school" at the

         One-Room Schoolhouse

 

The dedication ceremony included the reading of a special poem to mark the occasion, written by Willys Peck, Saratoga's town historian.

 

 

Willys Peck, Saratoga historian,

accompanied by his wife Mary

 

The inside of the schoolhouse is decorated with period furnishings including a pot belly stove, wooden school desks with ink wells, chalkboard and slates for writing assignments, a U.S. flag with 40 stars, and a colorful wall map of the United States, circa 1854.

 

 

Vintage school desk with writing slate,

 period-appropriate America Flag, 

and U.S. map circa 1854

 

The one-room schoolhouse will serve as a laboratory for educating 21st century schoolkids about what it was like to go to school in 19th century rural America.  The past will come to life for some 800 kids a year, who will don period school attire and learn about local history from one of the foundation's "school marms." 

 


          Kids wear calico smocks while attending

         class in the one-room schoolhouse

 

The classes, developed by a retired schoolteacher volunteer, meet California state requirements for teaching local history to third and fourth grades. 

 

To learn more about the Saratoga Historical Foundation, visit them online at www.saratogahistory.com